The Ca’ Pesaro international art gallery conserves and exhibits a large collection of works from the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Patrician Palace. In 1628, after they had acquired threE contiguous palaces, the Pesaros began to unite them into a single building. Leonardo Pesaro inherited the property and set about completing this work, beginning in 1652. The idea of his architect, Longhena, was to create a hall on the ground floor giving on to the Grand Canal, w1th reception rooms above.
The Museum of Modern Art. The Veronese Duke of La Masa bought Ca’ Pesaro in the 19th century. His widow created a foundation with the aim of exhibiting the work of Venetian artists, before offering the building to the city in 1889. In 1902 the municipality installed a Modern Art Gallery.
Today the gallery posesses canvasses by many of the great artists of the 19th and 20th centuries.
The Museum of the Oriental Art. Partly composed of the collections of Henri de Bourbon-Parme, a great traveller and ethnologist who lived for many years in Venice, this museum has also found a home in the Ca’ Pesaro.